John Robert Wiltgen has spoken on numerous topics at various venues including trade shows and he’s appeared on HGTV’s I Want That Baths, I Want That Kitchens and Homes Across America as well as NBC’s Open House, Fox Television, and WTTW. He is currently available for speaking engagements on the following topics.
- Surviving COVID as a High Risk Patient Over 60. John Robert Wiltgen speaks about his battle with COVID 19 in March, April and May of 2020. As a high-risk patient with type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, a kidney transplant and heart disease he was scared to death to check into the hospital for diagnosis. The press frightened the world claiming hospitals were a hotbed for the COVID virus. In the emergency room of Northwestern Memorial Hospital he tested positive for COVID 19. With no family allowed to visit he communicated with friends and family via Facetime. Certain he wasn’t going to survive, the doctors phoned his husband and told him to prepare for John’s cremation He was in the hospital for 15 days. Refused treatment with a respirator and ultimately went home on oxygen therapy. Today he is working out, swimming and traveling. He is not afraid to board a plane or hang out in an airport.
- More than Half a Century of Life with Type 1 Diabetes. Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 1967, John Robert Wiltgen reflects upon his life enduring this debilitating disease, the changes and advancements in care, as well as his battles with blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, cellulitis, osteomyelitis ultimately resulting in a below the knee amputation. Nonetheless, his life has been filled with travel a round the world and an amazing, award winning career.
- How to Build a Successful Business While Living with a Debilitating Disease. Award winning designer, John Robert Wiltgen, shares the dramatic ups and downs of maintaining a successful business while battling 3 years of complete blindness as well as a whole host of debilitating complications as a Type 1 Diabetic. Wiltgen talks about his persistence and determination to be a success in his field while not letting illness and despair rule his life.
- The Integration of Art, Architecture and Design. John Robert Wiltgen discusses the inclusive approach of integrating art, architecture and design to a residence being created from the ground up or the ingenious restyling and updating of an existing home. He talks about the construction documents, field supervision, and the selection and installation of finishes, furnishings and artwork to help homeowners achieve a unique, residence expressing the owner’s personal style.
- Envy the Green. Award winning designer, John Robert Wiltgen, discusses the rise of green building in the residential arena. JRW talks about choosing sustainable building materials to provide amazing benefits that older homes and materials could not compare with. He explains why green homes are energy efficient, good for the environment, healthy and clean. And he provides some tips on how to make them totally stunning. John first gave this lecture as a CEU during the Merchandise Mart’s NEOCON.
- Designing with Art and Antiques. Award winning designer, John Robert Wiltgen, whose homes have been featured in more than 200 articles discusses his design philosophy of designing and living with art and antiques. John has always believed people don’t want to feel like they live in a museum even though they may have collected some real treasures. He explains how he has assisted clients build quality art collections and helped edit and curate their objects for display. John talks about how people want to live with what they love, but don’t want to feel like they are in their grandparents’ homes. He provides advice on how living in the 21st century offers collectors new technology and materials to design with to showcase their art and antiques.
- Kitchen and Bath Design. Award winning designer, John Robert Wiltgen, whose kitchens and bathrooms have appeared on HGTV and the covers of numerous magazines discusses the ins and outs of kitchen and bath design. Get tips on finding the right designer, general contractor, and materials. What makes for good kitchen and bath design. It’s not enough that it look pretty. It has to work. John talks about the importance of lighting. Making your layout be efficient. And, of course, what to do to make these rooms chic and stunning.
- Timeless Design. Trends may come and go but there are certain elements of design that will never go out of style. If you want to create a timeless look John Robert Wiltgen discusses follow these 6 rules of timeless design. Symmetry. Focal Point. Use of Patterns and Materials. Stay Away from trends. What about technology? Quality.
Please call 312-485-1151 or click here to send us an email.